Nov 18, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
It was a great weekend for the Irish as they racked up two wins to propel their way into the Elite Eight. The team started out the weekend with a 2-1 win versus #3 seed Wake Forest. Once that game was under their belt, they prepared to take on second-seeded Florida.
The Gators were an interesting opponent for the Irish because Florida midfielder Adriana Leon previously attended Notre Dame and was part of the Irish 2010 national championship team. In fact, Leon scored the game-winning goal against Stanford in the title game. The team and crowd were anxious to see how the Irish would do facing off against a former teammate and good friend.
Although many of the players may be friends with Leon, it did not show on the field, as the Irish proceeded to systematically break down the Gator defense and put two goals in the back of the net. The first goal was scored in the early in the game by junior midfielder Rebecca Twining as she dove to head the ball into the goal. Sophomore forward Lauren Bohaboy scored the next goal much later in the second half to put the game out of reach.
Not only were Twining and Bohaboy the sole goal scorers versus Florida, but they are roommates as well. The girls share a dorm room in Pasquerilla East, one of Notre Dame’s 29 residence halls. I’m sure the PE community is excited to welcome them back to campus and cheer them on in their upcoming game against #1 seed Florida State (7 pm ET on Nov. 23).
About Irish United
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish To Meet Harvard Monday Night In Hall Of Fame Challenge
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- Fencing. Men's Fencing Adds to Women's Results Sunday At Penn State Open
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Ousts Ohio State, 2-1, In NCAA Second Round
- General News. Former Notre Dame Fencer Alex Coccia Named Rhodes Scholar
- Fencing. Former Notre Dame Fencer Alex Coccia Named Rhodes Scholar
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3/2 Notre Dame 104, Holy Cross 29
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Holy Cross - Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Notre Dame Defeats Holy Cross, 104-29, In Hall Of Fame Challenge Opener
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Edged By Providence, 75-74
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Want to thank all of our incredible seniors for all your hard work and dedication these past four years. You will be greatly missed! 17 hours ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: WSOC (FINAL): #5 TAMU 2, #12 ND 1. IRISH finish year at 14-6-2. Muya (ND) 4th goal of year. ND dominates second half, fal… 18 hours ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: A&M takes the lead against the run of play, as Monogue puts her second of the contest in the back of the net at 81:21 18 hours ago
- Notre Dame Ousts Ohio State, 2-1, In NCAA Second Round #NDvsOSU ntrda.me/11qv9Bv 1 hour ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Also cheers to @NDMenSoccer HC Bobby Clark- his 300th game at @NotreDame! #NDFamily 13 hours ago
- This will be 5th time in 2 seasons that Notre Dame and UVA will meet. Third time this season. #NDvsUVA 13 hours ago