Nov 18, 2012, 11:20 PM EST
The “Baby Irish” began their NCAA tournament run last weekend at Notre Dame’s Alumni Stadium, and overcame Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the second half to put themselves into round two in Gainesville, Fla. this weekend.
The Notre Dame freshmen came out swinging on Friday night in a well-played win over the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. This huge win put the women into the third round of the tournament, and was a fitting opponent, especially after last night’s Fighting Irish football win over Wake Forest.
Even though this is the first time the twelve freshmen have experienced the NCAA tournament, they proved their grit once again and rallied after Wake Forest scored the opening goal of the match. The young soccer team retaliated against the Demon Deacons with two goals to win the game. In a totally freshman effort, Cari Roccaro received a beautiful cross from another ND newcomer, Brittany Von Rueden, to tie the game and keep the “Baby Irish” motivated to continue playing hard and taking shots. Freshman Crystal Thomas then made her presence known on the field with a chip shot over the Wake Forest keeper’s head, with all the timing and calm of what appeared to be a seasoned scorer rather than a freshman new to the collegiate postseason play.
Almost more important than the strong freshman offense that helped to win the game was the resilient freshman defense. In particular, freshman keeper Elyse Hight made some great saves to maintain the Irish lead. Even though this team is so young, it has learned and grown so much over this season, and I think it has shown amazing growth in its impressive tournament play so far, especially with so many freshmen stepping up and leading the team to victory.
The “Baby Irish” continued to play hard this afternoon against Florida in the third round and successfully knocked out the Gators in a 2-0 shutout game. The team must continue to maintain its composure and remain confident in its abilities as it continues to move on in the NCAA tournament.
Regardless of being a young team, these women have proven themselves this season and have made the Notre Dame student body very proud. As a student on campus right now, I can attest to the fact that students and fans throughout the Notre Dame community are truly thrilled by the fantastic games that have been played by Fighting Irish athletic teams this weekend, especially the performance of many great underclassmen athletes. Go Irish! Good luck in your next game, ladies!
About Irish United
- Softball. Softball Accepting Registration For January 19 Clinic
- M. Swimming. Irish Secure Wire-To-Wire Hawkeye Invitational Title
- W. Swimming. Irish Complete Convincing Win At Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Back At It On Monday Against Bryant
- Football. Brian Kelly Pinstripe Bowl Announcement Press Conference Transcript
- M. Swimming. More Records Left In Irish Wake On Day Two Of Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish College Cup Bound For The First Time
- M. Ice Hockey. Late Massachusetts Goal Sends Irish To Defeat, 3-2
- W. Swimming. Irish Extend Lead With Solid Saturday At Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Delaware Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- And @NDMenSoccer is heading to the College Cup! Great Job Guys!! #Irish 2 days ago
- Good Luck to @NDMenSoccer tonight vs. MSU in the Elite 8! #IrishFamily 2 days ago
- Help em out! RT @NDMenSoccer: "I would love to fill Alumni Stadium and we should fill Alumni Stadium" - Coach Clark on #Elite8 game vs MSU" 3 days ago
- Use promo code CC13 for $5 off College Cup passes! bit.ly/1ghHQDM #RoadtoPhilly http://t.co/0qYqpEGL1Z 13 hours ago
- Congratulations to Pat Hodan and Pat Wall on being named @NSCAA All-South Atlantic Third Team! 16 hours ago
- Congratulations to Nick Besler, Harry Shipp and Grant VanDeCasteele on being named @NSCAA All-South Atlantic First Team! 16 hours ago