Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Ride Four-Goal First Period To A 6-3 Win Over Niagara University
- W. Volleyball. Irish Can't Finish Off First Set; Fall To VT, 3-0, Friday Night
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish Know How To Stay Fit And Focused
- M. Golf. Irish Compete At Bridgestone Golf Collegiate To Cap Fall Schedule
- W. Golf. Armstrong Leads Irish Women's Golf To Fifth Place After First Round At Landfall Tradition
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Play Host To Hokies On Saturday
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Olmsted's Emergence, TDS 100, ACC Tourney And More
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Scrap To Hard-Fought 1-0 Home Win Over #20 Clemson
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Travels To "The Mother Of States" For Two ACC Matches
- M. Soccer. Patrick Wall Named A Finalist For Senior CLASS Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDsoccernews: SENIOR DAY Sunday at Alumni, as @NDSoccer celebrates its 6 seniors, hosts Louisville at 1 p.m. ntrda.me/1ws1THY htt… 2 hours ago
- Good Luck to @NDMenSoccer vs. Virginia Tech tonight!! Everybody get out to Alumni to support them on Senior Night!! #GoIrish #ComeByAlumni 3 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Great Friday afternoon for our Monogram staff with @Habitat_org! We're proud to be a part of building this new home! http:/… 19 hours ago
- Not in the area? Our game tonight vs @VT_MSoccer will be streamed for FREE on @WatchND bit.ly/1rBkbj4 #NDvsVT 53 minutes ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Good Luck to @NDMenSoccer vs. Virginia Tech tonight!! Everybody get out to Alumni to support them on Senior Night!! #GoIrish … 2 hours ago
- GAME DAY!!! #ComeByAlumni as Irish host the Hokies of Virginia Tech for Senior Night! #NDvsVT ntrda.me/1uUMDh1 http://t.co/jW3IjFi5ec 8 hours ago