Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- Baseball. Eric Jagielo Takes Home BIG EAST Player Of The Year Award As Irish Total Five All-BIG EAST Honorees
- W. Rowing. Irish Selected To NCAA Championship For Second Straight Season
- M. Swimming. Tallman Named CollegeSwimming.Com Assistant Coach Of The Year
- Track. Irish Set For 2013 NCAA East Regional
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Announces 2013 Women's Soccer Schedule
- M. Soccer. San Jose To South Bend: Dillon Powers Aims To Attend Notre Dame Commencement Ceremony
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Notre Dame Drops 12-11 Decision To #7 Duke In NCAA Quarterfinals
- W. Rowing. Irish Claim Five Grand Final Titles To Earn 10th Consecutive BIG EAST Championship
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Open 2013 BIG EAST Tournament As No. 7 Seed
- Baseball. Irish Drop Regular Season, Series Finale At Cincinnati, 11-5
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Student-Athlete Graduation Feature
Length: 3:54 | May 21, 2013
Eric Jagielo 2013 Big East Player of the Year - ND Baseball
Length: 1:49 | May 22, 2013
2013 BIG EAST Preview - Notre Dame Baseball
Length: 2:30 | May 21, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - 'Player Over Play'
Length: 1:26 | May 21, 2013
- RT @NDsoccernews: Congrats to @cari_roccaro & @k_naughton24 who were named to US U-20 WNT roster for tour of Sweden May 24-June 3: http://t… 13 hours ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: 2013 @NDSoccer schedule is out - Irish w/ 11 home games on tap, including visits from UCLA, Wake Forest, Duke and BC: htt… 13 hours ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: It's almost here - 2013 @NDSoccer schedule to be released Tues. in 10-11 am ET hour … will have details here and at http:… 1 day ago
- Congrats @powerhour5 for being names MLS Rookie of the Week: soccerbyives.net/2013/04/rookie… 1 month ago
- Matt Besler Earns Cap In World Cup Qualifier At Mexico soa.li/8wfE9pc 1 month ago
- Great performance last night by @NDMenSoccer graduate @mbesler in our USMNT WC qualifier draw vs Mexico down at Azteca. Congrats Bes! 1 month ago