Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Opens Fall Schedule With Two Invitationals
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Women First, Men Second At National Catholic Championships
- W. Volleyball. Irish Take Down Saint Louis, 3-1; Complete Friday Sweep
- M. Soccer. Bobby Clark's Coaching Connections
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Outlasts Morehead State, 3-2, Friday Afternoon
- W. Soccer. #18/12 Irish Tangle With #9/8 North Carolina Saturday
- Cross Country. 35th Annual National Catholic Championships Set For Friday
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Kicks Off 2014 Fall Season In Illinois And New Jersey
- W. Volleyball. Irish Set For Purdue Active Ankle Challenge
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Visits #5 Virginia On Sunday For Key ACC Clash
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- RT @NDSoccer: “@NCAA: Don't forget to congratulate the Woman of the Year Top 30 with hashtags: on.ncaa.com/1uuGev8 http://t.co/lmL4kzyaJ… 16 hours ago
- What does Coach Clark have in common with @DartmouthMSoc, @GUHoyasMSoccer, @VUMSO & @UW_MSoccer? bit.ly/1DnuOOO 21 hours ago
- Irish head to Charlottesville, VA for ACC clash vs Virginia on @ESPNU Sunday at noon ntrda.me/1r3xFY2 1 day ago