Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies
- M. Golf. Three Irish Golfers Named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros Update
- W. Basketball. From The Hardwood: One Amazing Week For Irish
- Track. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- Cross Country. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- W. Rowing. Notre Dame Rowing To Host Indoor Clinics On Aug. 17 And Nov. 23
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Announces Eight-Member Freshman Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @AO_Modesto: 9 days until the #U20WWC. Our focus shifts to co-captain Cari Roccaro from @NDSoccer. 1-on-1 w/defender @cari_roccaro http:… 21 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: We are so excited to have 2 of the best soccer teams in the country in @NDSoccer and @NDmenSoccer! Get your @NDTix- http… 2 days ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Women's Blur IV FG cleats are the first custom cleats in for 14-15. Hey @NDSoccer check'em out! #teamUA @UnderArmour ht… 1 week ago
- Irish in the Pros update bit.ly/1mVaf0u 19 hours ago
- RT @Ryan_Finley9: Great to see the ND guys last night in Colorado @bigcountrynd powerhour5 instagram.com/p/q6-LninKOu/ 2 days ago
- Rocking the camp shirts! RT @clairesmc: @Underarmour @FightingIrish protect this house #IWill #UAcontest http://t.co/1vt0xcwnph 4 days ago