Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EST
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2/1 Notre Dame 112, Quinnipiac 52
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. #2/1 Irish Breeze Past Quinnipiac, 112-52
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame-Chicago State Men's Basketball Game Moved To 1:00 pm(ET) Start Time On Saturday
- M. Basketball. Irish Return Home To Face Grambling State
- Football. Brian Kelly USC Preview Press Conference Transcript
- Football. Notre Dame Vs. USC Game Notes
- M. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Notre Dame Advances In The Rain
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Cap Off Busy Seven-Day Stretch Against Quinnipiac
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Huffman Finding Her Role
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Want to thank all of our incredible seniors for all your hard work and dedication these past four years. You will be greatly missed! 2 days ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: WSOC (FINAL): #5 TAMU 2, #12 ND 1. IRISH finish year at 14-6-2. Muya (ND) 4th goal of year. ND dominates second half, fal… 2 days ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: A&M takes the lead against the run of play, as Monogue puts her second of the contest in the back of the net at 81:21 2 days ago
- Congratulations to Patrick Hodan (1st team) and Luke Mishu (3rd team) on being named Academic All-Americans! #StudentAthleteIrish 3 hours ago
- Vote Jon Gallagher #SAotWGallagher for his GWG vs OSU on Sunday to send us to NCAA 3rd round! und.com/ot/socialpoll-… http://t.co/JH8dYERC47 1 day ago
- Notre Dame Ousts Ohio State, 2-1, In NCAA Second Round #NDvsOSU ntrda.me/11qv9Bv 2 days ago