Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EST
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- W. Soccer. Naughton, Roccaro Named To NSCAA Scholar All-America Third Team
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Elite 2015 Schedule
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Debuts At #2 In Inside Lacrosse Preseason Poll
- Football. Kelly Cares Foundation, Irish Football Donate $10,000 To Food Bank Of Northern Indiana
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Announces 2015 Schedule
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Huarte Celebrates 50 Years Since Heisman Trophy Win
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Picked To Defend ACC Title
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Guard Jewell Loyd Named National And Conference Player of the Week
- M. Soccer. Nick Besler And Luke Mishu Invited To MLS Combine
- Fencing. Irish Extra: New Notre Dame Fencing Boss Knows All the Right Moves
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDsoccernews: Congrats to @NDSoccer's @NSCAA Scholar All-Americans (3rd Tm) @k_naughton24 and @cari_roccaro! ntrda.me/16tRH76 htt… 8 hours ago
- Congratulations to @Sflores317 on being named to @TopDrawerSoccer's All Freshman Second Team!! bit.ly/1wdd06C http://t.co/mFLciePI6I 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 1st day of finals, so @NDSoccer wants to make sure you have @Spotify study tunes- spoti.fi/18rUCdb #HitPlay #GoIr… 2 days ago
- Congrats Patrick Hodan on being named a 1st Team Scholar All-American! Hodan is a Finance Major & boasts a 3.93 GPA. http://t.co/NJdeiGspIF 10 hours ago
- Congrats Luke Mishu on being named a 2nd Team Scholar All-American! Mishu is Pre-Professional Major & has a 3.56 GPA. http://t.co/0bitvNq0fU 10 hours ago
- Two of our very own have been named to @NSCAA First & Second Scholar All-American Teams! #StudentAthleteIrish http://t.co/snbVYsXe9O 10 hours ago