Nov 9, 2012, 9:50 PM EST
Considering I had woken up to frost on more than one occasion this week, Friday’s weather seemed unseasonably warm. Even as I arrived for Notre Dame’s NCAA tournament game against Wisconsin-Milwaukee, the temperature was in the 50s.
The weather was warm, but just minutes before kick off, the sky opened up and the rain came down over Alumni Stadium. Then, barely seven minutes into the game – a flash of lightning.
Seconds later, the referee blew his whistle. There was no call for “Usher 800″ (sorry for revisiting those bad memories of 2011), but it was time to evacuate the stadium.
Yes, lightning in November. Fans headed for the Joyce Center (some caught a glimpse of the volleyball team’s five-set win over Cincinnati), while we sat in the press box for close to thirty minutes, before the Irish and Panthers received the signal to return to the pitch.
After a short warm-up, play resumed, but neither squad could get much going offensively.
In the 28th minute, Katie Naughton was called for a yellow card, an infraction that turned out to be costly, as Helen Steinhauser connected on a penalty kick to give UW-Milwaukee a 1-0 advantage.
But just before the half, it was redemption time for the freshman from Elk Grove Village, Ill.
Naughton scored on a header from six yards out, off a corner kick by Brittany Von Rueden. Her third goal of the season knotted the score at one, boosting the spirits of the “Baby Irish” before they left to the locker room.
In the 53rd minute, Lauren Bohaboy provided what proved to be the deciding goal, finishing a deflection in the box from eight yards out.
The Panthers would not go down quietly, however.
It’s a good thing the Irish had the tallest player on their roster between the pipes this evening. With just minutes remaining, UWM looked to tie the game, sending a shot sailing towards the Notre Dame goal. The ball bounced in front of 6’0″ freshman keeper Elyse Hight, who had to get up on her toes to make the save and preserve the lead.
Crystal Thomas added a late insurance goal – her ninth of the year – to seal a 3-1 victory.
It was the last home appearance of 2012 for the Irish, who after the final whistle, received a warm ovation from the fans who stuck through the delay to see them improve to 45-3-0 all-time in NCAA postseason home matches.
Head coach Randy Waldrum‘s team will play the winner of the Wake Forest-Georgia Southern game in the second round at a TBD location on Nov. 16. Stay tuned to UND.com for a full recap of tonight’s tournament-opening victory.
About Irish United
- M. Swimming. Irish Secure Wire-To-Wire Hawkeye Invitational Title
- W. Swimming. Irish Complete Convincing Win At Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Back At It On Monday Against Bryant
- Football. Brian Kelly Pinstripe Bowl Announcement Press Conference Transcript
- M. Swimming. More Records Left In Irish Wake On Day Two Of Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish College Cup Bound For The First Time
- M. Ice Hockey. Late Massachusetts Goal Sends Irish To Defeat, 3-2
- W. Swimming. Irish Extend Lead With Solid Saturday At Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Delaware Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Delaware Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- And @NDMenSoccer is heading to the College Cup! Great Job Guys!! #Irish 1 day ago
- Good Luck to @NDMenSoccer tonight vs. MSU in the Elite 8! #IrishFamily 1 day ago
- Help em out! RT @NDMenSoccer: "I would love to fill Alumni Stadium and we should fill Alumni Stadium" - Coach Clark on #Elite8 game vs MSU" 2 days ago
- It's College Cup Week! Meet Freshman Matt Habrowski on.fb.me/1hI8HJJ 15 minutes ago
- Looking to get tickets for our game vs New Mexico? Here is the link to purchase tickets: bit.ly/1ghHQDM 22 hours ago
- Notre Dame will face #7 New Mexico at 5pm ET Friday in @NCAAMensSoccer semifinals at PPL Park in Philadelphia. Game will be live on ESPNU 22 hours ago