Nov 9, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT
Nearly two years ago to this day, senior striker Ryan Finley was named the Atlantic Coast Conference Offensive Player of the Year. He was just a sophomore at the time, and many assumed that this high honor was the first in what would eventually prove to be a long line of similar personal accolades for the Lumberton, New Jersey native.
But then Finley transferred from Duke to Notre Dame. Dreams of winning ACC Offensive Player of the Year three years in a row were laid to rest. Heck, even earning a spot on the all-conference team was not a guarantee for the former phenom. But Finley meshed well with the Irish from the start, and was named second team all-BIG EAST following his junior campaign. Good, yes, but not quite what he used to be.
But any doubts about Finley’s return to stardom have been quelled by a magnificent senior season. He is currently second in the nation with 18 goals and third with 40 points. Both totals are tops in the BIG EAST. For these feats, Finley was named the conference’s Offensive Player of the Year on Thursday, becoming the third Irish player to win the award.
Finley was quick to attribute the accolade to the work of his teammates.
“Obviously it’s an honor to be recognized by the BIG EAST, such a prestigious conference,” Finley said. “But the award speaks volumes about our team. I look at it as a team award given to an individual player.”
The senior was hesitant to single out any one player as being especially instrumental to his success, saying that everyone on the team does his part. However, Finley did shine light the efforts of one teammate in particular.
“I have to give a lot of credit to my partner in crime, Harry Shipp,” Finley said. “We’ve really gelled together. Now we know what each other are going to do without even thinking about it.”
Finley and Shipp, a junior forward, begin each game on the bench and typically enter midway through the first half. The duo proceeds to stay in for the rest of the game. Shipp acts more as the distributor, Finley as the scorer. Shipp is second on the squad with five assists.
“Having skilled players like Harry that read my runs is a great spot for me to be in,” Finley said. “My bread and butter is making runs and finishing them off.”
In winning Offensive Player of the Year in two major conferences, Finley undoubtedly joins a select group of players. The senior said winning the award the second time around was a completely different experience than the first. As is typical with Ryan Finley, his reasoning had nothing to do with himself, but with the team.
“My sophomore year, our team was good, but we didn’t have national championship visions,” Finley said. “This year, the golden nugget is still hanging out in front of us. We have a chance to be special in December.”
About Irish United
- Softball. Strikeout Cancer, A Cause Ingrained In The Tradition Of Notre Dame Softball
- W. Lacrosse. Battle-Tested Irish Ready For ACC Tournament
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
- Softball. #21 Irish Split Midweek Doubleheader With North Carolina State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame To Compete In First-Ever ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Seeded Fourth In ACC Championship This Week
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish To Host Mexico U-20s On Friday
- W. Lacrosse. Cortney Fortunato Undeterred By High Expectations
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @MorganEAndrews: BEAUTIFUL DAY to play a game of soccer. Who's going to be there? 6pm at Alumni #NDvsHaiti 1 hour ago
- RT @Scoffyy: beautiful day for some soccaaaa #gameday #girish 1 hour ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: What will 2014 bring? Join @NDSoccer at Alumni Stadium tonight at 6 pm and find out! Contact @NDTIX to get your tickets …… 1 hour ago
- #Team43 moved on to the Sweet Sixteen of Bookstore Basketball last night! instagram.com/p/nIi_RKh70P/ 4 hours ago
- Thank you @NDsoftball for the invite to your @ACCsoftball matchup vs NC State!! We had a blast! #Irishon3 http://t.co/1Zqo5Wjg1s 23 hours ago
- Boss "throwing" the opening pitch @ndsoftball's game vs NC State! #GoIrishGo vine.co/v/Mn5wtMevhZD 23 hours ago