Nov 5, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT
Syracuse 2 – Notre Dame 4
What a fantastic game tonight in Syracuse, N.Y. It was cold and damp, but for the 1,675 spectators who turned up they were treated to one of the most exciting matches of the season so far. Fifteen minutes into the game Syracuse went ahead on a well-taken transition goal. They continued to menace the Irish defense with their counter attacks and Notre Dame never really settled into a rhythm until late in the first half. Things looked even bleaker for the Irish at the beginning of the second half when the Orangemen went further ahead in the 49th minute. 2-0 down on the road is not a good place to be, but Notre Dame rolled up its sleeves and really took it to Syracuse. It seemed like constant bombardment of the Syracuse goal but [Alex] Bono, in the Syracuse net, stood tall and made some outstanding saves.
At last a break through in the 63rd minute. It was a brilliant piece of individual play from Patrick Hodan. He weaved his way past a couple of defenders before curling a beautiful left footed shot into the net. Less than a minute later he was at it again. This time Patrick picked up a pass from Luke Mishu, drove toward goal, drew the Syracuse defense before dishing it off for Kyle Richard to hammer home and tie the game.
Things remained this way until the 77th minute and again it was Patrick Hodan who got his name on the score sheet. This time the leg work was done by Ryan Finley. Ryan wriggled his way past a couple of defenders before squaring to Patrick who had an easy tap in. Now a goal down, Syracuse threw everything into attack but the Irish were not done. Harry Shipp found Ryan Finley and Ryan slotted home the fourth goal to wrap up the game for the Irish and send them into the Big East final four next weekend.
It truly was a roller coaster of a game. Notre Dame showed tremendous character in how it stormed back after being two goals behind, and also displayed excellent composure as it went about salvaging the situation. The score was fair as Notre Dame held the shot advantage (21-12) and the save difference (3-7). This means that Notre Dame joins Georgetown, 2-1 winners over St John’s, and Marquette, 2-1 winners over Louisville, in the BIG EAST semifinals. UConn plays Villanova tomorrow for the fourth and final slot. If the Huskies win then it would mean that all four teams come from the Blue Division!
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Shut Out Niagara 7-0 To Run Winning Streak To Four Straight
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Pick Up Key ACC Win Over Virginia Tech, 3-1
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Loses Five Setter At Virginia
- M. Golf. Strong Second Round Vaults Wingo Into Top 25 After Day One Of Bridgestone Golf Collegiate
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf In Eighth Place After Two Rounds At Landfall Tradition
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Face Louisville On Senior Day Sunday At Alumni Stadium
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Ride Four-Goal First Period To A 6-3 Win Over Niagara University
- W. Volleyball. Irish Can't Finish Off First Set; Fall To VT, 3-0, Friday Night
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish Know How To Stay Fit And Focused
- M. Golf. Irish Compete At Bridgestone Golf Collegiate To Cap Fall Schedule
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDsoccernews: SENIOR DAY Sunday at Alumni, as @NDSoccer celebrates its 6 seniors, hosts Louisville at 1 p.m. ntrda.me/1ws1THY htt… 13 hours ago
- Good Luck to @NDMenSoccer vs. Virginia Tech tonight!! Everybody get out to Alumni to support them on Senior Night!! #GoIrish #ComeByAlumni 14 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Great Friday afternoon for our Monogram staff with @Habitat_org! We're proud to be a part of building this new home! http:/… 1 day ago
- Irish now 9-4-2 (5-1-1 ACC). Next up ND hosts Michigan State Wed 10/29 in final regular season home game. 8 hours ago
- FINAL: ND 3, VT 1; Habrowski, Hodan & Gallagher goals; Klekota assist; Shots 16-6 ND; SOG 8-1 ND; CK 6-4 ND #NDvsVT 8 hours ago
- 88' - Brendan Lesch and Trevor Gonzales in for the ND. Gonzales' first appearance in an Irish jersey! 8 hours ago