Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM EST
Fifth-year midfielder/forward Michael Rose is interning for the Monogram Club this fall, and will be sharing his perspective from the road as the Notre Dame men’s soccer team makes its annual run through the NCAA post-season. Here’s an excerpt from his first entry, “The Rose Report.”
Soccer is a funny game. It can be cruel, and unfair but that may be what makes the high points full of ecstasy. Playing at Marquette, in Milwaukee seems to be full of the former emotion for us though. After beating Marquette on Oct. 24, 3-1, at Alumni Stadium in a dominating performance against a team that was ranked in the top five in almost every major soccer poll in the country, we were confident that we could replicate the same performance in Milwaukee.
Even though the winner of our game would be given a share of the Big East title (three-way tie between the winner of our game, Georgetown and UConn), it seemed to be business as usual for us. On Friday, Oct. 26, we hit the road after training, and got to our hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin–the hometown of one of our freshmen midfielders, Pat Hodan. Per usual, Saturday morning began earlier than most college kids would agree with — at an 8:30 a.m. breakfast. At this point, all of us are convinced that Boss [head coach Bobby Clark] has already been up for four hours working out and practicing his fake Scottish accent (kidding, it’s real).
From there it’s a walk through at Marquette’s field, and a light dynamic stretch on their practice field. Next on our game day agenda is our pre-game talk. Being here for five years, I can tell you that the pre-game talks haven’t varied much at all, because the way we play defensively isn’t rocket science. It just takes a collective mentality, awareness and an understanding of a few simple concepts. Offensively, we have some of the most dynamic, creative players in the country, which is a huge asset. We have offensive wizards like Harry Shipp, Dillon Powers, and a forward with the most proven goal scoring record in the country–Ryan Finley. The rest of the day is spent at lunch and “getting our feet up” (Scottish for napping).
Visit the Monogram Club website for more from The Rose Report.
About Irish United
- W. Basketball. Achonwa Leads No. 4 Irish Past No. 10 Penn State
- M. Ice Hockey. Thomas DiPauli Selected To Preliminary USA Roster For 2014 IIHF World Junior Championships
- W. Volleyball. Houser Named Third Team All-ACC
- M. Basketball. Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Head Coach Mike Brey Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Falls at Iowa, 98-93
- Baseball. Irish Update From Around Professional Baseball
- M. Soccer. Harrison Shipp Named A MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalist
- W. Basketball. #4/5 Irish Visit #10/11 Penn State Wednesday For Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Set For Inaugural Appearance In Big Ten/ACC Challenge
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- . @NDMenSoccer's Harrison Shipp is a semifinalist for @HermannTrophy! Vote for him here: ow.ly/rtVmw 11 minutes ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: Congrats to @NDSoccer all-region selections for 2013 ... @cari_roccaro (2nd tm) and @MorganEAndrews (3rd tm)! http://t.c… 1 day ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: .@NDgreathouse we thought there was a party going on in the @NDSoccer office!! 1 day ago
- Voting for @HermannTrophy Semifinalists starts today! Cast your vote for Senior Harry Shipp bit.ly/1d0RtSd http://t.co/nC37V99ED2 42 minutes ago
- Evan Panken was @WatchND's Student-Athlete of the Week: bit.ly/1eWWRYw 18 hours ago
- DYK Notre Dame is the first team to score at least 4 goals in consecutive NCAA tournament games since Wake Forest in 2008 1 day ago