Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Fifth-year midfielder/forward Michael Rose is interning for the Monogram Club this fall, and will be sharing his perspective from the road as the Notre Dame men’s soccer team makes its annual run through the NCAA post-season. Here’s an excerpt from his first entry, “The Rose Report.”
Soccer is a funny game. It can be cruel, and unfair but that may be what makes the high points full of ecstasy. Playing at Marquette, in Milwaukee seems to be full of the former emotion for us though. After beating Marquette on Oct. 24, 3-1, at Alumni Stadium in a dominating performance against a team that was ranked in the top five in almost every major soccer poll in the country, we were confident that we could replicate the same performance in Milwaukee.
Even though the winner of our game would be given a share of the Big East title (three-way tie between the winner of our game, Georgetown and UConn), it seemed to be business as usual for us. On Friday, Oct. 26, we hit the road after training, and got to our hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin–the hometown of one of our freshmen midfielders, Pat Hodan. Per usual, Saturday morning began earlier than most college kids would agree with — at an 8:30 a.m. breakfast. At this point, all of us are convinced that Boss [head coach Bobby Clark] has already been up for four hours working out and practicing his fake Scottish accent (kidding, it’s real).
From there it’s a walk through at Marquette’s field, and a light dynamic stretch on their practice field. Next on our game day agenda is our pre-game talk. Being here for five years, I can tell you that the pre-game talks haven’t varied much at all, because the way we play defensively isn’t rocket science. It just takes a collective mentality, awareness and an understanding of a few simple concepts. Offensively, we have some of the most dynamic, creative players in the country, which is a huge asset. We have offensive wizards like Harry Shipp, Dillon Powers, and a forward with the most proven goal scoring record in the country–Ryan Finley. The rest of the day is spent at lunch and “getting our feet up” (Scottish for napping).
Visit the Monogram Club website for more from The Rose Report.
About Irish United
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Travel To Boston College For Regular Season Finale
- M. Soccer. #5 Irish Close Regular Season Saturday At Pitt
- M. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: A Wall In Goal
- Cross Country. Irish Women Finish Fifth, Men Finish Seventh At ACC Championships
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Set To Host Purdue Saturday In First Dual Meet Of The Season
- M. Basketball. Irish To Meet Minnesota Duluth In Exhibition Opener
- Baseball. Blue Tops Gold, 6-3, In First Game Of Annual Fall Series
- Football. Notre Dame's Jerome Bettis Named Walter Camp Man of the Year
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Know It's `Game On' with Midshipmen
- W. Volleyball. Irish Welcome In Georgia Tech For Halloween Showdown
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- RT @FightingIrish: Technically, @NDMenSoccer's Patrick Hodan DID end up playing football... #NDHalloween http://t.co/nZXCD9VOFh 56 minutes ago
- RT @NDBusiness: Congrats to #Mendoza student athlete Patrick Hoden, named Academic All-District 5 First Team und.com/sports/m-socce… @NDMenS… 6 hours ago
- Best of luck to @NDXCTF at the ACC Championship this weekend! #GoIrish 8 hours ago