Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Fifth-year midfielder/forward Michael Rose is interning for the Monogram Club this fall, and will be sharing his perspective from the road as the Notre Dame men’s soccer team makes its annual run through the NCAA post-season. Here’s an excerpt from his first entry, “The Rose Report.”
Soccer is a funny game. It can be cruel, and unfair but that may be what makes the high points full of ecstasy. Playing at Marquette, in Milwaukee seems to be full of the former emotion for us though. After beating Marquette on Oct. 24, 3-1, at Alumni Stadium in a dominating performance against a team that was ranked in the top five in almost every major soccer poll in the country, we were confident that we could replicate the same performance in Milwaukee.
Even though the winner of our game would be given a share of the Big East title (three-way tie between the winner of our game, Georgetown and UConn), it seemed to be business as usual for us. On Friday, Oct. 26, we hit the road after training, and got to our hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin–the hometown of one of our freshmen midfielders, Pat Hodan. Per usual, Saturday morning began earlier than most college kids would agree with — at an 8:30 a.m. breakfast. At this point, all of us are convinced that Boss [head coach Bobby Clark] has already been up for four hours working out and practicing his fake Scottish accent (kidding, it’s real).
From there it’s a walk through at Marquette’s field, and a light dynamic stretch on their practice field. Next on our game day agenda is our pre-game talk. Being here for five years, I can tell you that the pre-game talks haven’t varied much at all, because the way we play defensively isn’t rocket science. It just takes a collective mentality, awareness and an understanding of a few simple concepts. Offensively, we have some of the most dynamic, creative players in the country, which is a huge asset. We have offensive wizards like Harry Shipp, Dillon Powers, and a forward with the most proven goal scoring record in the country–Ryan Finley. The rest of the day is spent at lunch and “getting our feet up” (Scottish for napping).
Visit the Monogram Club website for more from The Rose Report.
About Irish United
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Downs #10 Duke, 69-53, For ACC Title
- Baseball. Irish Fall To No. 6 NC State in Series Finale, 7-0
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Gets First ACC Win Against No. 25 Florida State
- Softball. #22/21 Irish Blank Georgia Tech 12-0 To Win First ACC Series
- M. Golf. Irish Begin Spring Slate At San Diego Classic Monday
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Meet #10 Duke Sunday In ACC Championship Game
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Advance In Hockey East Playoffs With 3-2 Win Over Boston University
- Baseball. No. 6 Wolfpack Sweep Irish In Saturday ACC Action
- M. Lacrosse. #6 Notre Dame Falls To #12 Denver, 10-7, In Pacific Coast Shootout
- Fencing. Irish Fare Well At Midwest Regionals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- Congratulations @ndwbb on your ACC Championship! #NDFamily 12 hours ago
- A look at another auction item for the 2014 National Soccer Coaching Seminar! Will you be there?! ow.ly/i/4OY63 2 days ago
- One of the many auction items for this year’s Coaching Seminar! Visit und.com/SoccerCoaching… to register!! ow.ly/i/4OeGb 3 days ago
- Way to go @MuffetMcGraw, @GoIrishCoachO, @BCunninghamND, @IrishCoachIvey & @ndwbb on winning ND's 1st ACC championship! #ProudtobeIrish 12 hours ago
- Tune into ESPN at 7pm to catch our @ndwbb team play for @FightingIrish 1st @theACC tournament championship! #GoIrish 15 hours ago
- Game vs @ColumbusCrew now WEDNESDAY March 12th at 10am at Obetz Training Field. 19 hours ago