Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Fifth-year midfielder/forward Michael Rose is interning for the Monogram Club this fall, and will be sharing his perspective from the road as the Notre Dame men’s soccer team makes its annual run through the NCAA post-season. Here’s an excerpt from his first entry, “The Rose Report.”
Soccer is a funny game. It can be cruel, and unfair but that may be what makes the high points full of ecstasy. Playing at Marquette, in Milwaukee seems to be full of the former emotion for us though. After beating Marquette on Oct. 24, 3-1, at Alumni Stadium in a dominating performance against a team that was ranked in the top five in almost every major soccer poll in the country, we were confident that we could replicate the same performance in Milwaukee.
Even though the winner of our game would be given a share of the Big East title (three-way tie between the winner of our game, Georgetown and UConn), it seemed to be business as usual for us. On Friday, Oct. 26, we hit the road after training, and got to our hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin–the hometown of one of our freshmen midfielders, Pat Hodan. Per usual, Saturday morning began earlier than most college kids would agree with — at an 8:30 a.m. breakfast. At this point, all of us are convinced that Boss [head coach Bobby Clark] has already been up for four hours working out and practicing his fake Scottish accent (kidding, it’s real).
From there it’s a walk through at Marquette’s field, and a light dynamic stretch on their practice field. Next on our game day agenda is our pre-game talk. Being here for five years, I can tell you that the pre-game talks haven’t varied much at all, because the way we play defensively isn’t rocket science. It just takes a collective mentality, awareness and an understanding of a few simple concepts. Offensively, we have some of the most dynamic, creative players in the country, which is a huge asset. We have offensive wizards like Harry Shipp, Dillon Powers, and a forward with the most proven goal scoring record in the country–Ryan Finley. The rest of the day is spent at lunch and “getting our feet up” (Scottish for napping).
Visit the Monogram Club website for more from The Rose Report.
About Irish United
- Baseball. Irish Travel To Coral Gables For Showdown With Top-20 Miami
- Track. Both Teams Finish Day Two Of The ACCs In Eighth Place
- Softball. Perfection From Winter Leads #21/22 Irish To Day One Sweep Of Virginia
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Team In Seventh Heading Into Final Round Of ACC Championship
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Travels To Play Syracuse
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame to Take On Boston College This Weekend
- W. Rowing. #9 Irish In Michigan For ACC/Big Ten Challenge On Saturday
- Track. Men Finish Day One Of ACCs In Fourth, Women In Tenth
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Make First Appearance At Virginia This Weekend
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Tied For Fifth Following First Day Of ACC Women's Golf Championship
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- And Congratulations to the winner of the Golden Glove, @NDgreathouse and the Golden Boot, @karinrosee!! http://t.co/ob8siNJEXw 1 day ago
- The Dream Killers consisted of @Scoffyy, @karinrosee, @cindipp_17, and Kaleigh Olmsted! 1 day ago
- Congratulations to the winners of the ND Soccer Spring 3v3 tournament: The Dream Killers! http://t.co/8t8wNNu6qI 1 day ago
- #NDday launches April 27! Watch, Connect, Give & Vote at NotreDameDay.ND.edu! Don’t forget to vote for Men’s Soccer! #GoIrish 1 day ago
- Leon & Connor speaking to 6th graders abt making good decisions & what it takes to be @FightingIrish Student-Athletes http://t.co/QQoi2vk4T7 2 days ago
- Don’t miss out on @NDMenSoccer & @NDSoccer doubleheader vs Mexico on 04/25! Get your tickets w/@NDTIX: bit.ly/1m5oLHU 2 days ago