Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Fifth-year midfielder/forward Michael Rose is interning for the Monogram Club this fall, and will be sharing his perspective from the road as the Notre Dame men’s soccer team makes its annual run through the NCAA post-season. Here’s an excerpt from his first entry, “The Rose Report.”
Soccer is a funny game. It can be cruel, and unfair but that may be what makes the high points full of ecstasy. Playing at Marquette, in Milwaukee seems to be full of the former emotion for us though. After beating Marquette on Oct. 24, 3-1, at Alumni Stadium in a dominating performance against a team that was ranked in the top five in almost every major soccer poll in the country, we were confident that we could replicate the same performance in Milwaukee.
Even though the winner of our game would be given a share of the Big East title (three-way tie between the winner of our game, Georgetown and UConn), it seemed to be business as usual for us. On Friday, Oct. 26, we hit the road after training, and got to our hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin–the hometown of one of our freshmen midfielders, Pat Hodan. Per usual, Saturday morning began earlier than most college kids would agree with — at an 8:30 a.m. breakfast. At this point, all of us are convinced that Boss [head coach Bobby Clark] has already been up for four hours working out and practicing his fake Scottish accent (kidding, it’s real).
From there it’s a walk through at Marquette’s field, and a light dynamic stretch on their practice field. Next on our game day agenda is our pre-game talk. Being here for five years, I can tell you that the pre-game talks haven’t varied much at all, because the way we play defensively isn’t rocket science. It just takes a collective mentality, awareness and an understanding of a few simple concepts. Offensively, we have some of the most dynamic, creative players in the country, which is a huge asset. We have offensive wizards like Harry Shipp, Dillon Powers, and a forward with the most proven goal scoring record in the country–Ryan Finley. The rest of the day is spent at lunch and “getting our feet up” (Scottish for napping).
Visit the Monogram Club website for more from The Rose Report.
About Irish United
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Have The Right Road Formula
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Squad Completes Upset Weekend To Claim USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Crown
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Tennis. Irish Upset Irish, Earn Bid Into Doubles Championship At Midwest Regionals
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Places 10th In Strong Mercedes-Benz Championship Field
- W. Tennis. Top Doubles Tandem Advances To Monday's USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Championship Match
- W. Rowing. Top 10 For Irish Championship Four Highlights Head Of The Charles Results
- W. Volleyball. Irish Rally From Down 2-0; Best BC In Five-Set Thriller
- Football. Brian Kelly Florida State Review Teleconference Transcript
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Florida State - Postgame Notes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Vote Patrick Hodan as #SAotWHodan! Hodan scored both game winners vs Northwestern & Duke last week! und.com/ot/socialpoll-… 1 hour ago
- RT @NCAA: "Nothing I did the past 4 years I came up with my own. I learned it by watching all the wonderful women in my life." http://t.co/… 2 hours ago
- Fighting Irish Erupt For 4-1 Win At Duke #NDvsDuke ntrda.me/1wjzFeY 8 hours ago