Aug 16, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
For a pre-season game, this was a perfect environment. There must have been around 4,000 fans in the stands although, if truth be said, many of them were supporting our south of the border opponents. For Notre Dame, it was a fun atmosphere as we were playing a professional team in a noisy, vuvuzela-filled arena. Perhaps it was a bit early in our pre-season preparation for a match of this intensity, but it was a great test and the team came through with flying colors.
Make no mistake about it, Chivas are an excellent team. All their players were very highly skilled and there were extended periods when they possessed the ball superbly. The positive for Notre Dame was that most of this possession was in front of them and the Mexicans never really looked like penetrating. The Irish defense and midfield really moved together in unison and never allowed them any holes through which to penetrate. The longer the match went on, the more comfortable Notre Dame looked, and it was not a complete surprise when Harry Shipp sprung Ryan Finley with a beautiful through pass which Ryan coolly slotted low past the advancing Mexican goalkeeper.
Just when it looked as though we were going to mirror team USA from the previous night’s game in the Azteca, and sneak out with a nice 1-0 victory, Chivas pulled one back. It came from a free kick out on our left flank. A hard curling cross was flicked on at the near post and it found its way in at the far post. The rest of the game see-sawed back and forward and the nearest anyone came to breaking the deadlock was a Nick Besler header that was cleared off the Mexican goal line. All in all, possibly a fair result but, most importantly it was a great test for Notre Dame as we prepare for the new season.
Next up is Xavier on Monday. This is our annual Grassroot Game where we ask for donations at the gate and all collected monies will be donated to Grassroot Soccer, an HIV educational foundation that works in sub-Saharan Africa. The total donations will then be matched by Notre Dame Men’s Soccer camps…….so hopefully we get a huge turnout with plenty of donations so we can help this very worthy cause!
About Irish United
- Baseball. Irish Drop Regular Season, Series Finale At Cincinnati, 11-5
- Softball. Irish Bow Out Of NCAA Championship
- W. Rowing. Irish Look For 10th Straight BIG EAST Title Sunday
- Baseball. Irish Even Series With 9-1 Rout Of Cincinnati
- Softball. Virginia Tech Outlasts Irish 4-3 In Game One Of Lexington Regional
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Set For 11-Day European Trip
- Baseball. Irish Drop Series Opener At Cincinnati, 9-5
- Track. 24 Irish Track And Field Standouts Selected To NCAA East Preliminary Round
- M. Tennis. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team
- W. Golf. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Celebrating Ara Parseghian's 90th Birthday
Length: 6:59 | May 17, 2013
Michael Moore, BIG EAST Scholarship - Notre Dame Men's Tennis
Length: 1:30 | May 17, 2013
Preparing for the Big East Championship - Rowing
Length: 2:24 | May 17, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Assistant Coaches
Length: 1:24 | May 17, 2013
- Just added "Empire State of Mind" for Miss @karinrosee heading back to NY for the summer. Tune in now before the c… spoti.fi/16eVkeB 1 week ago
- RT @kdfech: RT Asking @TNNDN et al to pray for the family of Irish fan @fluffymom65 . Her 8-month old grandson died May 7th. twitter.com/rx… 1 week ago
- Need a study break or a kick in the pants? Listen up! This is how we do it! ♫ NDWSoccer thru FINALS! spoti.fi/16eVkeB #NowPlaying 1 week ago
- Congrats @powerhour5 for being names MLS Rookie of the Week: soccerbyives.net/2013/04/rookie… 1 month ago
- Matt Besler Earns Cap In World Cup Qualifier At Mexico soa.li/8wfE9pc 1 month ago
- Great performance last night by @NDMenSoccer graduate @mbesler in our USMNT WC qualifier draw vs Mexico down at Azteca. Congrats Bes! 1 month ago